1. About VIOD
The Vietnam Institute of Directors (VIOD) is a professional organization which promotes corporate governance standards and best practices in the Vietnamese corporate sector. VIOD aims to advance board professionalism, promote business ethics and transparency, create a pool of independent directors, build a network to connect corporate leaders and stakeholders, and help companies gain investor confidence.
In March 2018, the Vietnam Corporate Governance Initiative (VCGI) formed VIOD with technical support from International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO). VIOD closely collaborates and partners with State Securities Commission of Vietnam (SSC), Ho Chi Minh City Stock Exchange (HOSE) and Hanoi Stock Exchange (HNX).
VIOD is governed by a Board of Directors composed of a diverse group of business leaders representing private sector, including investment funds, international legal and accounting firms and board members of well-known companies.
For more information, please find our leaflet HERE
2. Who is our focused audience?
- Chairmen and members of the board of directors
- Senior company executives & corporate secretaries
- Legal, accounting, and finance professionals
- Other market stakeholders
3. Why Good Governance Matters?
Good corporate governance helps companies improve performance, increase access to financing, and strengthen long-term sustainability. Numerous studies have confirmed that Firms with strong corporate governance scores show better operational performance and are typically less risky. In addition, better corporate governance practices can achieve higher levels of investor trust and confidence leading to more robust economic development.
In summary, corporate governance is proven to help companies achieve the following:
|• Risk mitigation
• Reduce volatility of cash flows
• Enhanced reputation
• Heightened operational performance
• Boost employee morale and productivity
• Streamline and optimize operation
• Improve customer service and sales
|• Lower cost of capital
• Increased access to financing
• Improved stock performance and valuation
• Increased volume of cross-border investments
• Better stakeholder relations
• Increase transparency and information flow
Good corporate governance has significantly become more and more important to Vietnamese corporate sector. Many local companies have embraced good governance practices by putting in place well-structured boards, sound risk management and control frameworks and strong disclosure regimes, among other changes and reaped the benefits – including improved performance, mitigated risk events, better access to capital and improved reputation.
4. Our Vision and Mission
VIOD’s vision is to become a pioneering and leading organization in advancing corporate governance standards in Vietnam and supporting the professional development of directors, with a focus on improving the effectiveness of their boards and board committees.
VIOD’s mission is to:
- Improve the professionalism, expertise, and status of Vietnamese directors
- Share best corporate governance practices and resources
- Create a peer exchange and networking platform
- Influence corporate governance policies and advocate for market reforms
- Enhance investor confidence in Vietnam’s private sector and capital markets